Header Image
 If you are concerned about a child


Information regarding coronavirus (COVID-19)

For information and ongoing updates due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the Department of Communities Coronavirus (COVID-19) web page.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, please be reassured that the Department of Communities, Child Protection and Family Support division continues to respond to child protection concerns, 24 hours-a-day, seven days-per-week. At a time where children may be less visible within our community, it is important for us all to remain vigilant and report any concerns we may have for the more vulnerable members of our society to the appropriate authority.

Should you have concerns for the wellbeing of a child, please contact the Central Intake Team on 1800 273 889 or email cpduty@communities.wa.gov.au.

To report a concern out of business hours please contact our Crisis Care Unit on 9223 1111 or Country free call 1800 199 008.

Should you have concerns that are life threatening please call 000.

Reporting concerns

If you are concerned about a child’s wellbeing, please contact the Central Intake Team on 1800 273 889 or email cpduty@communities.wa.gov.au.

To report a concern out of business hours please contact our Crisis Care Unit on 1800 199 008

If you are a referrer from a government or non-government agency reporting concerns about a child's wellbeing please complete the Child Protection Concern Referral form.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation, contact the Western Australia Police immediately by dialling 000.

If you make a report or disclose relevant information to the Department, there is legislative protection for the notifier. These are:

  • Protection of identity - with some exceptions, your identity must not be disclosed without your consent. For further information, refer to section 240 of the Children and Community Services Act 2004.
  • Legal protection – you are not subject to legal liability under State law providing the information is provided in good faith.
  • Professional protection – authorised disclosure of information cannot be held to constitute unprofessional conduct or a breach of professional ethics. As a result you cannot be disciplined by your professional body or incur any formal professional negative consequences at your workplace.

When you contact the Department, the Duty Officer will gather and record information that you provide and decide how best to respond.  The type of information that the officer will gather includes:

  • details about the child/young person and family
  • the reasons you are concerned
  • the immediate risk to the child 
  • whether or not the child or family has support  
  • what may need to happen to make the child safe
  • your contact details, so that the officer can call you to obtain further information if required or to provide feedback.

You do not need to have all the details about the child or family when you contact the Department.

Information for child care providers

The Department has set out the process in the flowchart below for Child Care Providers and teachers when reporting concerns of abuse, risk of harm and concerns about the parents’ ability to care for the child safely.

Flowchart for Child Care Providers (PDF)


What to do... when you are concerned that a child is being abused or neglected A3 poster

How do I recognise when a child is at risk of abuse or neglect?
Outlines the five main types of child abuse and neglect.

Identifying and responding to child abuse and neglect
A guide for professionals.

What does it mean?
A guide for families and carers about how the Department of Communities helps keep children safe.

Protecting children
Information for parents, families and friends. 

Keeping our kids safe 
For aboriginal families and communities.

  Become a Foster Carer
You won't always see where they go. But you can help them get there. Become a foster carer. 1800 024 453
| | Accessibility | Self Service | Staff Email | Contact Us | Other Languages Other Languages