Header Image
 What happens next?


The Department's response

Once all the necessary information has been obtained the Field Worker will make an assessment in consultation with his/her Team Leader and decide what action, if any, the Department needs to take.

Where a serious crime against a child has been alleged, for example sexual abuse, the Department will work with the Western Australia Police in relation to further investigations.

The Department’s response will be determined by whether or not your child:

  • has suffered harm;
  • is likely to suffer harm as a result of abuse or neglect;
  • is able to be adequately cared for and protected within the family home. 
  • Based on the outcome of the assessment, the Department may:
  • take no further action;
  • provide you with family support;
  • undertake further investigations;
  • take legal action through the Children’s Court.

What records are kept?

The Department is required to keep paper and electronic records of its contact with children and families, which outline information relevant to a case. You have the right to seek access to these records, either informally by contacting your case worker or formally, under the Freedom of Information Act 1992.

What if you disagree with the Department?

The Department aims to work with you to resolve complaints and achieve good outcomes for your child.    

If you are not satisfied with the way we are working with you and your child or you are unhappy with the way you have been treated by departmental staff, you should contact the local district office and discuss your concerns with the Field Worker and Team Leader. 

If you are still not satisfied, you may wish to make a formal complaint. The first step in the three tiered complaints process is to make a complaint to the relevant District Director. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may choose to progress to the second step, and contact the Complaints Management Unit (CMU). The CMU will listen to your complaint, provide information and advice about the complaints process and assist you in making a formal complaint.

  Become a Foster Carer
You won't always see where they go. But you can help them get there. Become a foster carer. 1800 024 453
| | Accessibility | Self Service | Staff Email | Contact Us | Other Languages Other Languages